Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Git Low: Cont'.......

Flip the axle(s)
This is common practice for cars/trucks with solid rear axles, but doing it in front is a whole 'nother piece of work altogether. It will get you a solid 6"-7" inches of drop in front, but the fabrication is no joke.


I mocked up this setup with my F100 earlier this year, and found that it wasn't the apporach that i wanted.

You'll have to
1) move the steering box up & fab a new bracket
2) re-position the steering column
3) watch for interference with the frame and oil pan from both the axle itsself and the tie rod.
I'm going to guess that it takes some pretty good trickery to permanently resolve the bump steer issues with this.
4) You will also need to C-notch & box the frame.


Here's what my F100 looked like with with both axles flipped,
and 3 leafs removed in front.



Here is an excellent tech link from the HAMB:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153730


"Z" the Frame
I left this for last cause it's probably the last thing that anyone thinks of with all the other options available. It made the most sense to me because it allows me to get 2.5" out of the frame- retaining stock travel and geometry, another 2" with dropped axle, and 3" out of the springs.

This is essentially a 7.5" Bolt-on drop, that only sacrifices 3" of suspension travel, and retains steering geometry.
I will be fabricating adjustable rear spring perches that will retain the caster attitude of the axle should I ever want to return to near stock ride height ( with longer shackles in front)

No comments: